News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

SOv3 Skill List (Rogue Skills Added!)

Started by LeGuy, July 19, 2009, 07:31:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeGuy

LeGuy's SOv3 Skill List

Hey, I thought up a few ideas for possible skills in the highly anticipated 3rd Stick Online. Please read and comment.

(If you have a good idea for a skill, post it and maybe I'll add it to the list.)

I don't know if classes will be implemented in the next SO, but I'm making some possibly class exclusive skills nonetheless.

I also took the liberty of drawing some icons for the skills as well.  ;)

Power Surge

Costs some amount of stamina/mana. This skill empowers your stick character so that the next time it attacks it will deal more damage than usual. The effect fades when your character attacks even if you miss your target.

Stunning Strike

Similar to Power Surge, but instead of inflicting extra damage on the enemy, the enemy is stunned for a short time. I've considered the possibility of this skill only being usable when a blunt weapon is equipped, such as a wooden hammer, stone hammer, or tree branch.

Dash

Costs some amount of stamina/mana. This skill enhances your stick character so that it runs more quickly for a limited time.

Sleep

This skill is different from just pressing X to rest in that it regains health and stamina/mana more quickly, but once you start sleeping you cannot move again, or wake up, for 30 seconds. If you are hit by a monster while sleeping, you wake up but you become disoriented and your running controls (left and right) are inverted for 10 seconds.

HP-MP and MP-HP

These skills are fairly simple, HP-MP turns some of your health into stamina/mana and MP-HP turns some of your stamina/mana into health.

Resurrect (Paladin, Priest, etc. Exclusive)

Whenever you run out of health and die, instead of instantly whisking to a spawn point your stick character falls down and dies, or he turns into a ghost hovering over the place he died. You can then choose to respawn above a spawn point, or, if you're far into a dungeon or you just got a drop or something, wait for somebody with the ability to resurrect you. This skill would require a small charge time and some stamina/mana.

Suggested by Lingus:

This skill requires the user being very close to the user, at least a 30 second charge time that is interrupted if hit by an enemy, at least a 30 minute cooldown time, and a very high amount of stamina. I agree with pretty much everything except the cooldown time. The other restrictions would ensure that a healer could not resurrect dead players willy nilly therefore cheating death during an epic battle, but a 30 minute cooldown time would be a big inconvenience if there was more than one person to resurrect and only one healer.

Heal (Paladin, Priest, etc. Exclusive)

A fairly simple skill used by certain classes to heal oneself and other players. The amount of health recovered would be based on the user's level and stats.

Teleport

This skill is fairly self explanatory - the user instantly travels from one spot to another. This would be accomplished via special "teleport spawn points" scattered across the landscape of Stick Online. A good example would be that instead of a red flag in NewbTown, the starting area in SOv2, the spawn point is colored blue. The spawn point in the desert town at the far right of the map would be colored blue as well. Once a player reaches both teleport flags, he would be able to instantly travel between these two points in the future.

Stealth (Rogue, Thief, etc. Exclusive)

This skill continuously drains stamina as it is being used. It makes the user slightly transparent and monsters will not attack the user unless he gets very close. This decreases the running speed and jumping height of the player by 50%.

Lockpick (Rogue, Thief, etc. Exclusive)

A skill used by rogues to unlock locked doors and chests scattered within dungeons and across the Stick Online world. As the rogue picks simpler locks their lockpicking skill grows more powerful and they can lockpick the more complex, powerful locks.

Fishing (Trade Skill)

Obviously this skill would require a fishing rod that you could buy at a store. Fishing would allow players to gather fish from bodies of water and then sell them or eat them - probably not raw, a cooking skill will probably have to be implemented too. As you fish, you gain fishing experience and you catch rarer and more useful fish.

Cooking (Trade Skill)

This skill would allow one to build a fire and begin cooking with various materials they have bought and found. Like Fishing, the more dishes you make, the more Cooking experience you get, and the more complex and nutritious dishes you can make. You would also be able to cook fish that you have caught with the Fishing skill.

Various recipes would be available from vendors and from drops from monsters. Once one attains a recipe, they can make the dish the recipe teaches from that point on.

A simple example of a recipe one could make would be:
Blob Soup
A strange tasting but nutritious dish.
Requires:
-1 Cooking XP
-One Blue Blob Goo
Once Eaten:
Heals 10 HP a second for 10 seconds.

A more complex recipe would be:
Steamed Salmon with Cactus Sauce
A delicacy created by only the finest chefs.
Requires:
-300 Cooking XP
-One Fresh River Salmon
-Three Cactus Thorns
-One Sand Fiend Salt
-One Blue Blob Goo
Once Eaten:
Heals 50 HP a second for 5 seconds.

Whee!

Lucifer

Haha, I like the idea of sleep, although a minute seems like a bit long. In a minute you might as well have just sat down, for you would be up and ready before you woke up from your sleep. Push that down to perhaps 30 seconds or less, and I'd love to see it ingame. The other two fit nicely as well.

ARTgames

Quote from: Lucifer on July 19, 2009, 07:43:54 PM
Haha, I like the idea of sleep, although a minute seems like a bit long. In a minute you might as well have just sat down, for you would be up and ready before you woke up from your sleep. Push that down to perhaps 30 seconds or less, and I'd love to see it ingame. The other two fit nicely as well.

yeah i 2ed that. that is a long w8.

Also i like the icons you made for the skills.  Makes me feel like you really worked on this. The ideas seem vary veg but i know you cant go into detail on stick online 3 snits no one really know about it.

Also your last skill seems class dependent which is OK but i wish you also did the same with the other skills.

LeGuy

Alright, I took your suggestion and changed the Sleep wait time to 30 seconds.
Whee!

JoEL

The sleep skill you've written here seems nearly next to useless...There are certain levels where you wouldn't need to use this skill again or find it just plain annoying because your healing the enemy. I'd much rather some sort of stun...when you swing your weapon and it stuns the target for a max of 3 seconds (most likely enough time for you to get your distance).

IMO classes will ruin the simplicity of SO and most likely ruin the game. Infact I would be happy if SOv3 didn't even have skills. You saw how long it took to balence Vit and Str....imagin how long it would take to balence the skills...

Take World Of Warcraft for example...everytime theres a new patch... different classes are buffed and nerfed..after about 4 years now...they still haven't gotten the game balenced, two main classes are rediculously Over Powered (paladin and warlock if you're wondering).

Lucifer

You forget that at the moment Intelligence isn't balanced at all. The addition of skills that make use of stamina will help fix that, and in no way "nerf" other stats. Healing the enemy? Who in the right mind would use a skill like Rest in the middle of a PVP fight? The entire point of it is for PVE combat.

JoEL

Where in my post was i reffering to PvP?
I realised it was PvE.

Just think...your killing a mob of monsters...some dumbass comes by and uses that spell on a boss or something...
Or maybe a group of dumbasses decide to use that spell on a whole mob you and a few friends were slowly killing. This could easily get annoying.

Also i wasn't talking about nerfing stats..I was talking about the skills. But maybe in so3 we have different stats to work with, which then most likely will be changed throughout its up time.

ARTgames

Quote from: Lucifer on July 19, 2009, 09:47:44 PM
You forget that at the moment Intelligence isn't balanced at all. The addition of skills that make use of stamina will help fix that, and in no way "nerf" other stats. Healing the enemy? Who in the right mind would use a skill like Rest in the middle of a PVP fight? The entire point of it is for PVE combat.

I cant believe I'm agreeing with you but i am.

But i do see how it will be hard to make this balanced to the point ever one not complaining. meiun cant please ever one. But i think adding a little more depth into the game will be ok.

Into the game it seems apparent meiun wanted to add skill and im sure he will take the time to do it right. He as much as you wants this to be as far as possible.

11clock

Quote from: JoEL on July 19, 2009, 09:43:14 PM
The sleep skill you've written here seems nearly next to useless...There are certain levels where you wouldn't need to use this skill again or find it just plain annoying because your healing the enemy.

Healing the enemy? What does Sleep have to do with healing enemies? I believe that you use Sleep on yourself, NOT on monsters. :-\

God-I-Suck

Some nice ideas and I like the sprites too! Good job

LeGuy

@JoEL

I can say with reasonable certainty that skills will be in SOv3. Meiun even put the skill button in SOv2 even though they wasn't implemented yet. And simplicity in a game isn't always neccesarily a good thing - if there was a game where you could walk to the left and walk to the right, that would be simple; it would also be mind numbingly boring. There has to be some extra complexities in SOv3, otherwise they'll have been no point to the update.

Another thing you're not considering is the purpose of games. Games are supposed to be fun. You don't have to spend months trying to find the perfect balance of skill points for a character to just enjoy yourself. Perfection is not the goal, entertainment is.

@11clock

Yes, that's correct. You go to sleep, you don't make the monsters go to sleep.
Whee!

JoEL

Oh i miss read it...
In that case it seems even worse then what I though it was...

Anyway...Maybe you should check out Diablo 2 or 3...simple controls...you can play the game with just the mouse while using all types of spells...I can't really see this happening in SO seeing as you're going to be using the keyboard.

Titan

I really like the ideas and the sprites for these.
I don't however like the ideas of fishing and cooking seems to much like runescape. And they way you put priest/paladin next to the name. I hate the idea of classes more than anything else.
Livin' in a lonely world.

11clock

I agree that classes shouldn't be in the game. That will completely ruin PvP.

Lucifer

Quote from: 11clock on July 19, 2009, 10:42:08 PM
I agree that classes shouldn't be in the game. That will completely ruin PvP.
How exactly will classes ruin pvp? I don't think there will be classes, and personally would rather have a more free system of being able to choose from all the skills, but I don't see why you guys are complaining about classes.

Anyways, I like the cooking system you've posted, however I believe food you cook should be non-combat consumables. That is, if you get hit/hit something while under the effect of a food (say, regenerate 50 health over 5 seconds) then it gets interrupted. The effect of food should also be canceled if PVP is turned on, and can't be used while PVP is on. Also, I think being able to create fires yourself is a little too complex of a system, I would rather there be a few fires spread throughout the map that you can use to cook on.