News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

Who is Online Indicator

Started by JoEL, September 05, 2009, 11:56:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoEL

My first, and possibly only suggestion.

Who is Online Indicator

This Idea is to implement a "Who is Online Right Now" indicator where it says the total amount of players at the top and then lists the players names. Now I think the old SO site had something similar if not the same? Anyway I think this should be reintroduced for SOv3 and even SOv2. I personally like this "Who is Online Indicator" so I know who exactly is online and how many people and depending on who is online motivates me to come online as well.

Edit: I meant this to be on the website, not the game, sorry.

tehrozzy

I remember this from the old forums...well, the Whos on Ventrilo one anyway :P.

I'd like it too, i normally only get on if theres someone else there.

Pinball

I rather they bring back where you could check whose online by going to the forums so you wouldn't have to fire up SO, but if they can't for some reason your idea is fine.

flashmaniac

Possibly /who as a command could list online players? And possibly their location: Desert - Newbland.

Also, does SO still have a Ventrilo server!?

JoEL

Quote from: Pinball on September 06, 2009, 12:52:34 AM
I rather they bring back where you could check whose online by going to the forums so you wouldn't have to fire up SO, but if they can't for some reason your idea is fine.

Sorry, I edited my first post, I meant this to be on the site.

flashmaniac

Ooooh, sorry.

I do remember there was a Who's online tab on old SO website, awesome if it could be remade.

tehrozzy

Quote from: flashmaniac on September 06, 2009, 12:54:43 AM
...Also, does SO still have a Ventrilo server!?

It DID, then it went down with the server, then Scotty brought it back up a bit after the donor server came up, then it went down when Scotty resigned, then Seifer brought one up, I think that ones down aswell.

Back ontopic - I do remember there being a whos online tab on the old official forums, so it shouldn't be to hard to do...it is possible at least.

yottabyte

Yes, I like this idea. It's good for smaller mmog's.

I am not sure about this but Scotty used to be the website guy, right? I don't know about Meiun's knowledges in php/asp/whatever they are using for this, but could he code one of these? Or do they have someone in the team that's responsible for this kind of stuff?

Anyway, I'm sure they could fix this, since they need a better site when so3 comes out anyway.

I partly quit SO. I only come online for updates and events. Have a good day. :)

tehrozzy

Your knowledge doesnt have to be too great for this sorta stuff, you just need to know certain things and the internet will teach you the rest anyway.

flashmaniac

Lol, you just have to know what you're dealing with and what language will you require. Internet coding isn't really that hard, I'm sure SO logs the people online in a file somewhere, just put it in your Web server and make sure it updates then make it so that it collects information from that file and puts it on the page.

Danimal

Quote from: flashmaniac on September 06, 2009, 12:54:43 AM
Possibly /who as a command could list online players? And possibly their location: Desert - Newbland.

Also, does SO still have a Ventrilo server!?
To my knowledge, Scotty's ventrilo is still up and running

flashmaniac

What's the address to it? I might pop in :) Just to check out what's happening around SO. Please post here ;)

JoEL

Matty_Richo

I think seeing as so little people play now, if possible put in one that says where they are, coz it is annoying finding out there are 2 people online and the only way to find them is to scout the whole map.

JoEL