News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

game speed.

Started by ARTgames, October 24, 2009, 06:53:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ARTgames

My simple suggestion would be just to run the game at 60 fps. A lot of games of today shoot for that goal. This will make the jumping and moving of the stick people / monsters seem munch more fluid. And i feel like in a fighting action game like this one having more fluid motion really makes the game more enjoyable.

This idea is for stick online 2 and 3. But i know with stick online 2 there will need to be more work to make sure everything works at the speed its suppose to.

But most of all its easy to implement.

God-I-Suck

I'm not really an expert on this, but wouldn't having 60 frames make Stick Online half as fast? But I guess he could just double the speed. Anyway, Isn't stick online smooth already? lul, but yeah, my game runs on 30 fps like 98% of the time, so I guess 60 wouldn't be a problem for me.

NotoriousM4^

I dunno, I mean sometimes with a pvp type game, fluidity can become a bad thing.

ARTgames

Quote from: God-I-Suck on October 24, 2009, 07:25:27 PM
I'm not really an expert on this, but wouldn't having 60 frames make Stick Online half as fast?

other way around. Your getting twice as many frames in the same about of time.

QuoteI dunno, I mean sometimes with a pvp type game, fluidity can become a bad thing.

Nope. it makes it better because the motions of the stick people will be smother making it easier to see what is going on. The more fps the better.

Quote from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frame_ratea low frame rate will not be able to give the illusion of motion effectively and will affect the user's capacity to interact with the game while a frame rate unsynchronised with the display device will show 'choppy' movement.

Mr Pwnage

Quote from: God-I-Suck on October 24, 2009, 07:25:27 PM
I'm not really an expert on this, but wouldn't having 60 frames make Stick Online half as fast? But I guess he could just double the speed. Anyway, Isn't stick online smooth already? lul, but yeah, my game runs on 30 fps like 98% of the time, so I guess 60 wouldn't be a problem for me.
It is literally how many frames are displayed per second. Pretty much it makes everything more fluid...but it wouldn't slow anything down. Pretty much, you add in more frames "in-between" the current ones, and it looks a lot better. Of course, this is double the work on the animators part. I think it would be nice but isn't NEEDED since SO is a 2d, cartoonish, platformer and not an FPS. Still, it would be nice.
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." -Albert Einstein (1947)

http://www.benmward.com/projects.php

Torch

60 FPS causes fps lag on slower computers. The less frames per second, the less fps lag. I've played on computers where running 30 FPS is strenuous.

11clock

I think the game should stay at 30 FPS. I like the speed the way it is now.

ARTgames

Quote from: Mr Pwnage on October 24, 2009, 08:22:10 PM
Of course, this is double the work on the animators part.

Nope. He can keep all the same animation. He would just half to reduce the speed they play at by 1/2. But I'm no asking for smoother animations. I'm asking for smother movement. The animations we have now are not 30 fps them self's but are much less and is hand timed by Meiun himself. This timing lets game maker repeat a lot of frames to stay in sync with the fps the game is running at now.

Lets say my stick dude moves about 6 pixels at 30 fps. well at 60 fps it i would only need to move 3 pixels a frame to move the same speed. And it would look smother. But there animations of walking will still work at the same speed.

The movement of the sprites on screen will look smother but the animation of the sprites them self will not change speed/smoothness. understand?

Think of it like a TV on a conveyor belt. The tv plays the animation of the stick man running and the conveyor belt makes the stick man looks like he moving.

@Torch
I feel as if this will not be a problem with most people. I'm sure most people here are able to run the game at 60 fps. Considering most other games you play today run at this speed.

And if it really bothers you he can make it a option. Its not hard to do.

also if your not running at 30 fps now this will not make you any worse when the game is at 60fps. But it will make the people who can take more be faster. So if you feel as if people can not keep up you can have a 30 fps mode. So the game would look the same as it does now but will look choppy compared to the 60 fps mode.

There a more complex ways of solving this problem but i feel that will be too much work.

@11clock
Ill respect that.

Meiun

60 fps would be a pointless increase in CPU usage with very little very little visual enhancement in return (in Stick Onlines case atleast).

ARTgames

How much more? Have your tried?

See I'm in the mind set that even if its little visual enhancement that the extra cpu it will take not much eater.

But if the gain is not as grate as the price i guess it would be more logic to stay how it is.

Meiun

It will need to update everything twice as much... There is no question this is not a change I would like to make lol. A 2D game like this really wouldn't see any significant improvements, and unless it only added a very small CPU strain it is not something I would be willing to consider. It would just be overkill.

ARTgames

QuoteIt will need to update everything twice as much...
well. you could keep everything else at 30 fps or lower and let movement be calculated at 60. But that would be a lot of work to keep everything in sync and i know the out come of that is not worth the gain. : P

But if you as the creator of the game feel as if this is overkill I'm fine with that. Its your game and i what to experience it how the game developer intended. I'm happy how this topic turned out. : )

Chaos

What Meiun said, essentially.  If I'm thinking about this correctly, I can already tell you that, in the case of Stick Online, a visual difference would be barely noticeable, if noticeable at all.
Jake says:
lol, I found God! He was hiding under a big rock this entire time that lil jokster

Jake

Quote from: Chaos on October 24, 2009, 11:34:21 PM
What Meiun said, essentially.  If I'm thinking about this correctly, I can already tell you that, in the case of Stick Online, a visual difference would be barely noticeable, if noticeable at all.
Luckily, it's not nearly as noticeable with 2D games as it is 3D. Despite this, I personally would see a large difference in how smooth the game plays if it was switched to 60 fps.

One idea for Meiun is to have the game run at the max possible framerate, and then compensate for how that effects player movement, etc. This would make the game smoother, and decrease problems that arise from playing the game under 30 fps. I'm not sure what he has already done to help the issue of a lower frame rate, but it's important enough to note.

Meiun

I'm aware of that possibility, but it still wouldn't be worth it to me. I don't want to make it demand that much cpu of peoples computers for that little a difference.