News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

AI

Started by ARTgames, July 05, 2009, 05:01:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ARTgames

I think it would be cool if meiun made some really good ai for pvp training or general fun. It should cost something to make money useful.

I know there something more to this but i forgot. Please add onto this idea

EpicPhailure

So an AI...for what? Monsters? A clone of a S.O. player?

ARTgames

Quote from: Epicphail on July 05, 2009, 05:26:15 PM
So an AI...for what? Monsters? A clone of a S.O. player?

Thats was something i forgot. yes a so player.

Looperpuck

Ahh, yea. Instead of having people train you, you can test out your own skills on a computer stick figure, that has AI, and will learn so you have to develop and use different tactics.That would be pretty useful.
Resurrected

Aqua

Eh, I think it'd be more time for Meiun to program it than what it'd be worth to us players.
~Aqua

ARTgames

Quote from: Aqua on July 05, 2009, 08:49:31 PM
Eh, I think it'd be more time for Meiun to program it than what it'd be worth to us players.
~Aqua
I would like to do this. but im not meiun. Idk he could also use this as boss ai.

Lingus

Well, saying AI doesn't really mean much. Technically the monsters in the game now are a form of AI. They have a set of commands that tell them what to do when. So, the question is, are you asking for a more complex AI? Something that can jump around and avoid attacks and use tactics and things like that? If so, that's very difficult to achieve. Even professional games don't have very good AI.

The thing is, the more complicated you make the AI, the more likely it is to run into issues. If you have it jumping around, it might jump off a platform. Things like that.

But certainly, the AI could be a bit more advanced than the current one. I think the reason is because it is simple and it takes very little resources to run. The thing about it is that the more commands you put on NPCs, the more resources each NPC takes, and when you have hundreds of NPCs all being processed by the server it would create problems if they were more advanced. Perhaps with the new version of the game that won't be a problem?

I think definitely there should be different forms of very simple AI. For instance, the way the bunny's AI works. It's still very simple (run away when someone gets close) but the fact that it's different than the normal AI makes it interesting. It adds variety. Every monster in the game acts the same (except for the bunny). "Stand around. If someone comes near go up to them. If someone is in range attack them every so often." And they do it in much the same way. So the tactics for killing monsters, no matter which one they are, is pretty much the same. There's not really much variety in killing bandits versus skeletons versus cacti versus sand golems, etc etc.

So adding variety, like a command that says "right when you get up to someone dodge away every so often", to certain monsters might add something to the gameplay. People would have to use slightly different tactics to kill different monsters depending on how they act.

ARTgames

This kind of idea would work better offline.

Lingus

Why? It makes sense that monsters in the game should be challenging. It sounds like you're talking about AI bots that are used in FPS games. Those are typically used instead of going online and playing against real people, you play against AI bots that are not quite as challenging. Used to do that a lot with Unreal Tournament.

In an online RPG, monster AI's are pretty important. If they are too simple, they aren't challenging and it makes grinding for exp and items extremely boring (as it is currently). Having more complex and challenging monster AI makes those tasks a bit more appealing.

ARTgames

Quote from: Lingus on July 06, 2009, 07:36:50 PM
Why? It makes sense that monsters in the game should be challenging. It sounds like you're talking about AI bots that are used in FPS games. Those are typically used instead of going online and playing against real people, you play against AI bots that are not quite as challenging. Used to do that a lot with Unreal Tournament.

In an online RPG, monster AI's are pretty important. If they are too simple, they aren't challenging and it makes grinding for exp and items extremely boring (as it is currently). Having more complex and challenging monster AI makes those tasks a bit more appealing.

Yeah that true. but what you said about the resources and what Aqua said about meiun it seems to me that this could be something for offline fun when playing online not convenient. And when meiun has the resources i guess he could port it over.

QuoteHaving more complex and challenging monster AI makes those tasks a bit more appealing.
Yeah thats why i posted the topic. i was walking around and i was trying to think what would be fun to do right now.

Lingus

Well, I assumed this was for SO3, and my suggestion was to make simple additions to the current AI to make slight variations to the way monsters act. I wouldn't go adding a highly complex AI to the game.

ARTgames

Quote from: Lingus on July 06, 2009, 08:03:03 PM
Well, I assumed this was for SO3, and my suggestion was to make simple additions to the current AI to make slight variations to the way monsters act. I wouldn't go adding a highly complex AI to the game.

I kinda what to because of this really is a online fighting game with rpg elements. We have monsters that fill the "rpg elements" part of the game but i kinda whant something other than people to fill the "fighting game" part of the game. But being online and easy to just ask some one to pvp i see how this is not a need. So that's why i said this idea is better for offline.

Lingus

My point is that even for an offline version, you're not going to get an AI that is as complex as a person. Not even close.

ARTgames

Quote from: Lingus on July 06, 2009, 08:30:33 PM
My point is that even for an offline version, you're not going to get an AI that is as complex as a person. Not even close.

Yeah i know. its just that more complex AI is more fun that what we have now. and who knows. maybe one day with a lot of work it will be. But i know meiun should be doing other stuff. So i guess i could say Aqua killed the topic.

jonsploder

AI like this is incredibly hard to make.