News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

For shame, Ubisoft.

Started by Chaos, February 19, 2010, 03:52:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scotty

I've contemplated not wasting my time and just taking the higher road by not further fueling your arrogance (not to mention I'm doing this from my iPhone), but after reading that two or three times, I gave in. I know you don't care about law, think you're above, you're careless, or think that if a deterrent isn't good, it can't be defined as a deterrent at all, or that you don't care to support hard work by buying it if you "think" it is an inconvenience (since all you can base all of this off of is what other people are saying, as the games haven't even been released yet). I'm not quite understanding what I didn't refute, therefor classy, as it has clearly been established that you don't give two shits about honoring terms and supporting hard work because (for you mr desktop and Internet at home) that is such an inconvenience.  What about a laptop on the road? YOU DON'T OWN ONE! What about when the servers go down? When have they? And what about when they discontinue DRM servers, we've discussed this countless times how the likely course of action would be to patch out drm at that point, because really, they've given up on revenue at that point for that game. So there ya go mr. Arrogance, is that enough of a refute from mr. Classy?  

@Jake, you forgot enforcement, strict enforcement with intense will effectively scare many into not pirating. How is that not going to be effective again?

Chaos

It doesn't count as a refutation until you actually refute my post, so no.

Let me cut straight through your insults and distractions and bullshit, so you can stop conveniently ignoring it.

Are you of the belief that DRM deters people from pirating?
Jake says:
lol, I found God! He was hiding under a big rock this entire time that lil jokster

Scotty

Is it an effective deterrent? No. But that doesn't mean it isn't classified as one. Are there other ways to go about deterring pirates, yes. Increase enforcements, fines, and as I've already stated (and we can all agree) remove drm. Let the punishments do the detering.

Chaos

Quote from: Scotty on February 20, 2010, 03:11:03 PM
Is it an effective deterrent? No. But that doesn't mean it isn't classified as one. Are there other ways to go about deterring pirates, yes. Increase enforcements, fines, and as I've already stated (and we can all agree) remove drm. Let the punishments do the detering.

I would like to present THIS topic,

http://torrentfreak.com/spore-most-pirated-game-ever-thanks-to-drm-080913/ ,

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2009/05/landmark-study-drm-truly-does-make-pirates-out-of-us-all.ars ,

http://www.digitalrenaissance.se/2008/10/02/sony-admits-drm-increase-piracy/ ,

http://www.p2p-blog.com/item-900.html ,

http://www.boingboing.net/2010/01/22/oreilly-drops-ebook.html ,

as evidence that disagrees.

Jake says:
lol, I found God! He was hiding under a big rock this entire time that lil jokster

Jake

I agree that it needs to be enforced, but it's really not easy to do. From what I've heard (and I could be wrong), it's very hard to pin down people that are pirating. Instead, they nail down a few people here and there and fine them millions. Basically, they make an example out of them. This to me is very wrong, if you consider the fact that if I stole some games from the store, the max possible fine would be under $10,000 and most likely probation. A great deterrent would be to take down the sites hosting these torrents, except for the fact that this is also extremely hard because these sites usually aren't doing anything wrong. Just like how Google isn't doing anything wrong for the websites found within it.

What you're suggesting Scotty, is already being tried. As you can see, it's not working as well as they want it.

Scotty

It would be more beneficial for companies to (seemingly) throw away that money to an agency who could hunt down pirates as opposed to investing it into a shitty drm. They clearly haven't thought any of this through, and some project manager is sitting in his office with a huge shit eating oblivious grin on his face right now.

Lucifer

Quote from: Jake on February 20, 2010, 03:41:37 PM
I agree that it needs to be enforced, but it's really not easy to do. From what I've heard (and I could be wrong), it's very hard to pin down people that are pirating. Instead, they nail down a few people here and there and fine them millions. Basically, they make an example out of them. This to me is very wrong, if you consider the fact that if I stole some games from the store, the max possible fine would be under $10,000 and most likely probation. A great deterrent would be to take down the sites hosting these torrents, except for the fact that this is also extremely hard because these sites usually aren't doing anything wrong. Just like how Google isn't doing anything wrong for the websites found within it.

What you're suggesting Scotty, is already being tried. As you can see, it's not working as well as they want it.
Simple way to enforce it is do what Cox Cable does where I live. Any new game I download immediately gets my internet turned off, and I have to call them and make a bullshit excuse like someone haxed into my wireless or I forgot to put a password on it. No matter what excuse you come up with they give you 1 strike, and it's a 3 strikes and you're out deal, meaning you're basically blacklisted from using their service. I'm on strike 2, and as !@#$ed up as this system is, I can say without a doubt it's "deterring" me from downloading ANYTHING new.

Scotty

I had cox in Cali, and have seen people get hit for that. I agree and think that is probably one of the best ways to go about handling it. If every ISP enforced it, there would be a LOT less piracy.

Chaos

Quote from: Scotty on February 20, 2010, 06:19:54 PM
I had cox in Cali, and have seen people get hit for that. I agree and think that is probably one of the best ways to go about handling it. If every ISP enforced it, there would be a LOT less piracy.

I have to wonder how well that works versus programs such as Peer Guardian 2.
Jake says:

ARTgames

If every PC came with a live guard armed with a gun this would not be a problem at all.

Lucifer

Well theres always going to be programs that can circumvent any kind of monitoring that ISPs can do, but the point is that if such a thing is enforced it really would decrease the amount of pirates. Thing is, most pirates are incredibly bad at it. Just look at 50% of the comments on The Pirate Bay torrents. They have to be walked through every single !@#$ing step, whether it be downloading a torrenting program, installing and using software like Daemon Tools or Magic ISO, finding cracks, or the extreme hassle of getting a game to work over a program like hamachi. All these steps, along with the high possibility of getting viruses, or having to scrap the entire process if the torrent ends up to be shat, are enough to deter many would-be pirates. Adding the need of another program like Peer Guardian 2 just piles more load onto the question: Is it really worth it? Is all that time and effort really replace the time and effort required to just go out and earn it? The more effort ISPs put into enforcing the protection of their games, the harder that question will be. DRM was a sad attempt at this, and whoever came up with the idea is coming to stay in my warm abyss,  but I do fear the future will bring many more inconveniences to pirates.

Scotty

I don't really know if there is a good way to fool ISPs currently, as all traffic has to go through them.

ARTgames

QuoteI don't really know if there is a good way to fool ISPs currently, as all traffic has to go through them.

encryption. a port 80 http encrypted file transfer is really going to be hard to block. File does not even need to be encrypted. could ssl it.

Scotty

Quote from: ARTgames on February 20, 2010, 07:00:55 PM
QuoteI don't really know if there is a good way to fool ISPs currently, as all traffic has to go through them.

encryption. a port 80 http encrypted file transfer is really going to be hard to block.

very true, but that could easily be overlooked by many

ARTgames

onlive would fix the piracy.