News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

Apple loses big in DRM ruling: jailbreaks are "fair use"

Started by Scotty, July 26, 2010, 05:51:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T-Rok

I bet every member of the group who made that decision owns a jailbroken iPhone. xD

Seifer

Quote from: T-Rok on July 26, 2010, 06:08:13 PM
I bet every member of the group who made that decision owns a jailbroken iPhone. xD

More likely they are a bunch of old men who finally saw reason. I bet it was like... "Geez fella's, every year we tighten these laws and what comes of it? Everyone still pirates and jail breaks as they please. How about instead.... we just make it legal?"

Lingus

I'm curious whether Apple has the ability to void any warranty or support due to jailbreaking the iPhone. To me, that would make the most sense. Kind of a, "Yes, it is legal to jailbreak. Go ahead and do it. But at your own risk. We won't cover your ass if you destroy your iPhone." Which ultimately, is the best for both parties. Apple is not liable for anything that happens due to unauthorized use of the product, and the consumer can do whatever they want with the product they purchased.

Seifer

I'm fairly certain this is already the case. If you send it in to be fixed, and they find custom firmware, they won't fix it. But it's easy enough to get around. As long as your broken Itouch can still be plugged into a computer and recognized, you can just reset it to factory default. So even if you bust the display, sound, battery or whatever, you can still put it back to normal. And if you bust the HD, well, than they won't know about your custom firmware anyways.

T-Rok

Um, exclude battery from that list. lol. Other than that though, it is physically impossible to tell that you ever jailbroke if you restore to factory settings

ARTgames

Even if its legal to do that I heard its not tottlay ok because you may be breaking some things in the elua (have no idea how to spell it). I dont know if that true but I heard it here http://www.cnet.com/8301-19709_1-20011675-10.html?tag=mncol;title .

Seifer

Quote from: T-Rok on July 26, 2010, 08:57:12 PM
Um, exclude battery from that list. lol. Other than that though, it is physically impossible to tell that you ever jailbroke if you restore to factory settings

Even if the battery busts, you can plug the Itouch into your computer and restore it to factory default.

Lingus

Quote from: Seifer on July 26, 2010, 08:20:13 PM
I'm fairly certain this is already the case. If you send it in to be fixed, and they find custom firmware, they won't fix it.
I'm sure that was already the case. I was more curious if that is STILL the case after all of this. If it is legal to jailbreak the product, it may also force Apple to deal with issues that arise from it. My guess is that it wouldn't. But like you said, if you restore to default, they wouldn't know.

Scotty

Apple can void the warranty of their products for whatever reason they see fit, regardless of what is legal or not.  This really doesn't change a thing when you think about it.  All it changes, is that Apple cannot pursue legal charges against those who would develop the software patches to jailbreak their iPhones/iPods.  Think of it this way.  It is completely legal for you take a screw driver to your toaster.  Nothing is illegal about you cracking that thing open, but as soon as you break the tape on it that reads "Warranty void if broken", the warranty is voided.  It's just that when it comes to firmware, it is just as easily undone, with no visible "scars" to remain behind.  This doesn't change a thing about their products, they can pick and choose what they want to have when it comes to voided warranties, regardless of what is legal or illegal.

All this does to Apple is hurt their reputation.  It doesn't hurt sales at all, considering people have to buy their products in order to jailbreak them, so what do they have to lose, other than the security of knowing that they can't moderate what is done with their hardware?  I just think it's funny that the library of congress can tell them "Screw your rep, you still get money, so what do you care?"

ARTgames

Seifer

Already did, long ago Art. Had my Itouch bust once too, wouldn't do sound right. Just reset it and sent it in. Jailbroken is nice. I have a lot more features than I otherwise would have had.

T-Rok

By battery being broken, I mean fried. If your battery is hooped and can no longer hold even the smallest charge, plugging it into the computer will not allow you to restore. I would know, it happened to my uncles.

I remember the old firmware 1.0 jailbreak. Ahhh, now those were the days. Go on your iPod Touch's web browser, open up and website, and bam, all done.

Pat

Facepunch consumes your soul and assimilates you into their crazy community.

Kbob32

I dunno, I have a 3g 3.1.3

but im skeptical about jailbreaking it.  I dont want to mess up my phone.  Don't get me wrong im extremely satisfied with my phone but I want a decent video camera.  That would be my main reason for jailbreaking it.  Im debating whether or not to do it.
VIVA LA RESISTANCE!!!!!!!!!