News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

How the SO community celebrates thanksgiving.

Started by Lucifer, November 25, 2010, 11:39:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lingus

Quote from: T-Rok on December 01, 2010, 04:05:03 PM
anyone who lives in the states is american >.> 
That's not even true. You can definitely live in America without being American...

T-Rok

Its in my opinion Lingus. Generally when a person lives in a place they eventually conform to certain aspects of that place. So while they are not officially an American, they inherit certain traits that are strongly considered when determining an American. Learned this in psych :D

Yankyal

Quote from: T-Rok on December 02, 2010, 01:13:21 AM
Its in my opinion Lingus. Generally when a person lives in a place they eventually conform to certain aspects of that place. So while they are not officially an American, they inherit certain traits that are strongly considered when determining an American. Learned this in psych :D
::) Watch out guys, we have a psychology student in our presence!
Isaiah 13:15-18
Exodus 21:15
Deuteronomy 17:12
Leviticus 20:10

tehrozzy

Thanks.....giving?

lol jks, you and your american holidays.

T-Rok

Quote from: Yankyal on December 02, 2010, 05:55:46 AM
Quote from: T-Rok on December 02, 2010, 01:13:21 AM
::) Watch out guys, we have a psychology student in our presence!

Haha, do you not like psychology?

Seifer

I would just like to say that this whole "Canada is too patriotic" statement is so bloody false. We are one of the least patriotic or Proud nations around, at least for the big nations. When you ask a Canadian what he is, he doesn't say Canadian, he goes "I'm German" or "I'm French". Like America, we were settled, but a colony, but unlike America, we never really broke free from that. Canada is just a big hodg podg of other nations, and we still consider ourselves such. America could be the same, but Americans from the beginning wanted to shout "WERE AMERICANS" and they were extremely patriotic, and have made a massive name for themselves, and so Americans, when asked what they are will say "American".

I actually am kind of sad how un-patriotic we are, it would be nice to be the kind of country where everyone has a lot of passion for their nation.

T-Rok

Quote from: Seifer on December 02, 2010, 12:29:44 PM
I would just like to say that this whole "Canada is too patriotic" statement is so bloody false. We are one of the least patriotic or Proud nations around, at least for the big nations. When you ask a Canadian what he is, he doesn't say Canadian, he goes "I'm German" or "I'm French". Like America, we were settled, but a colony, but unlike America, we never really broke free from that. Canada is just a big hodg podg of other nations, and we still consider ourselves such. America could be the same, but Americans from the beginning wanted to shout "WERE AMERICANS" and they were extremely patriotic, and have made a massive name for themselves, and so Americans, when asked what they are will say "American".

I actually am kind of sad how un-patriotic we are, it would be nice to be the kind of country where everyone has a lot of passion for their nation.

I didn't know you were Canadian. But about your un-patriotic speaking, were we watching different Olympics? I believe Canada showed just how patriotic we are during them. It's just that we are quiet about it until the moment arises that we must show who we are.

DarkTrinity

Quote from: T-Rok on December 02, 2010, 01:14:07 PM

I didn't know you were Canadian. But about your un-patriotic speaking, were we watching different Olympics? I believe Canada showed just how patriotic we are during them. It's just that we are quiet about it until the moment arises that we must show who we are.

Think he's talking about every day life. Olympics are kinda a special moment, like what Scotty said, the majority were Canadians there of course they're going to be patriotic about having such a huge event held in their country.
@Seifer: Yea, America is a huge pot of cultures & ethnicities mixed together, but if someone asked me what I was, American would be the best thing to say. I was born here and I'm not gonna sit there and say "I'm German, latvian, polish, etc." American is just the easy, obvious answer and that's technically what I am. Now if someone asked what my background is, that's another story...

Lingus

That definitely depends who you ask... and it might depend what day you ask them. I might say American, but I might also say Jewish, or white, or Irish... It also really depends how the question is asked or in what context. If it's clear they are asking my nationality, then yes American. Otherwise it might be anything.