News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

Om, nom, nom..

Started by CherryPie, December 02, 2010, 08:41:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seifer

Also agree it looks off. In either case, everyone here DOES seem to be interested in a Pac Man hat, so I'll mention it to Venuse and who knows what we will find when So3 comes.

ARTgames

Mr Pwnage

I love pacman, but I wouldn't want a PacMan hat in stick online because simply put, it isn't a generalized hat. I kind of like how SO is unique and has no references to other games. If you make a pacman hat, than why not a darth vader mask? Point being, icons should not be brought into SO, in my opinion.
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." -Albert Einstein (1947)

http://www.benmward.com/projects.php

Mystery

Quote from: Mr Pwnage on December 07, 2010, 04:17:18 PM
I love pacman, but I wouldn't want a PacMan hat in stick online because simply put, it isn't a generalized hat. I kind of like how SO is unique and has no references to other games. If you make a pacman hat, than why not a darth vader mask? Point being, icons should not be brought into SO, in my opinion.
The Dragoon Helm and Hyperion would like to have a word with you.

Also, regarding the sprite, incorrect perspective. You need to master that first. (For some reason, the perspective on the Pirate Hat is completely off as well, but it's in the game...no clue why.)
AKA Paradox/EnragedDeity/Occurrence.
Quote from: Medgar Evers
You can kill a man, but you can't kill an idea.

Ceroblitz

You don't have to wear a hat perfectly straight ;) The slight turn of the pirate hat is quite nice imo, and the jester hat, even though you can't tell which way it faces.

Chaos

Quote from: Mystery on December 07, 2010, 04:55:39 PM

Also, regarding the sprite, incorrect perspective. You need to master that first. (For some reason, the perspective on the Pirate Hat is completely off as well, but it's in the game...no clue why.)

The Dragoon Helm is a very special case, being as Meiun requested the GM helmet to have a similar style to the Dragoons of Final Fantasy, because he liked the look.  Additionally, while it is inspired by, it is not a direct rip-off, it merely looks 'dragon-ish' and is blue.  That's about as similar as they get.  And to further differentiate, it was REDESIGNED, and is now grey.  Meiun decided to make use of the discarded graphic.  This is also why we have 'deranged bunny ears' and the 'froggy hat', or whatever they are called.

The Hyperion is also a special case, as it was intended to be the GM weapon for the GM named SEIFER.  Such is the nature of the internet.

If this were being made as a GM-helmet for a GM named Pac, Pacman, etc., then fine.  But it isn't.

Also, I didn't say anything cause I don't CARE, but if you really want to pull the "You are the only one of all posters who think it doesn't look right at all" bollocks argument, then I feel I should chime in with:

"It doesn't look right at all."
Jake says:
lol, I found God! He was hiding under a big rock this entire time that lil jokster

Mystery

Quote from: Chaos on December 07, 2010, 08:09:58 PM

The Dragoon Helm is a very special case, being as Meiun requested the GM helmet to have a similar style to the Dragoons of Final Fantasy, because he liked the look.  Additionally, while it is inspired by, it is not a direct rip-off, it merely looks 'dragon-ish' and is blue.  That's about as similar as they get.  And to further differentiate, it was REDESIGNED, and is now grey.  Meiun decided to make use of the discarded graphic.  This is also why we have 'deranged bunny ears' and the 'froggy hat', or whatever they are called.

The Hyperion is also a special case, as it was intended to be the GM weapon for the GM named SEIFER.  Such is the nature of the internet.

If this were being made as a GM-helmet for a GM named Pac, Pacman, etc., then fine.  But it isn't.
I never said that wasn't the case; I already know they're special cases. That does not detract from the fact they ARE in the game, and they ARE taken from other games(even if they were modified, and rightly so), thus rendering Pwnage's point moot.

Quote from: Ceroblitz on December 07, 2010, 05:10:26 PM
You don't have to wear a hat perfectly straight ;) The slight turn of the pirate hat is quite nice imo, and the jester hat, even though you can't tell which way it faces.
Still, I'd think most people would make an effort to wear the hat properly, I haven't seen a picture of anyone wearing it like that before(feel free to prove me wrong, I'm sure there's at least ONE picture out there). I realize that it'd look far different if tilted correctly, thus not making it look very much like a Pirate Hat with the skull and crossbones gone and the general shape warped, but still, on the topic of perspective, I felt it was relevant.

Mr Pwnage

Quote from: Mystery on December 07, 2010, 08:20:25 PM
Quote from: Chaos on December 07, 2010, 08:09:58 PM

I never said that wasn't the case; I already know they're special cases. That does not detract from the fact they ARE in the game, and they ARE taken from other games(even if they were modified, and rightly so), thus rendering Pwnage's point moot.

It doesn't render me "moot" at all, seeing as this is obviously being made to be a community distributed had...as no GM or any other special calls have been made for it. In fact, in collaboration with what Chaos said, it proves my point perfectly. Also final fantasy did not come up with a dragoon helm, dragoon is a style of helm. Like Chaos said also, you can't call outside references illegal for GM items because they are meant to be personal to the GM. Sure, if it makes you feel more right, there are indeed those 2 items in the game, but it is still out of proportion in the context I'm trying to convey.
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." -Albert Einstein (1947)

http://www.benmward.com/projects.php

Mystery

Quote from: Mr Pwnage on December 07, 2010, 09:28:37 PM
t doesn't render me "moot" at all, seeing as this is obviously being made to be a community distributed had...as no GM or any other special calls have been made for it.
'Obviously made to be a community distributed hat'? That is an assumption on your part, as CherryPie never said to the effect of that or to the contrary of it, either. He just said he wanted it in-game.
In fact, in collaboration with what Chaos said, it proves my point perfectly.
Actually, it proves the exact opposite. Going along with your supposition that it would be public, it isn't at all included in the special cases Chaos mentioned, which applied solely to GM equipment.

Also final fantasy did not come up with a dragoon helm, dragoon is a style of helm.
I sincerely hope you realize that that kind of dragoon helm looks NOTHING like the one in FF or SO, you would  have to take at least a glimpse at the FF version to get to the modified SO hat. Here, low-down for you:
http://www.tombanwell.com/how_to_dragoon_helmet.html

EDIT: Fah, got my post cut-off somehow..

Like Chaos said also, you can't call outside references illegal for GM items because they are meant to be personal to the GM.
If you would care to re-read, I never once said the word 'illegal'. I just said they came from other games, which, even if they are GM items, still holds true.

Sure, if it makes you feel more right, there are indeed those 2 items in the game, but it is still out of proportion in the context I'm trying to convey.
It's the exact same context. It's in the game, it's taken from another game, legal issues were irrelevant to my post.

Are the Dragoon Helm(unmodified) and Hyperion NOT from Final Fantasy, which is ANOTHER GAME?

If so, they reference another game, regardless of them being GM items. Legal issues were not brought up once in my post.

They aren't as iconic as Pacman or Darth Vader, but are still iconic and from another game nonetheless, so even if they are special cases, they reference another game.

Pinball

Quote from: CherryPie on December 07, 2010, 04:18:23 AM
3.) You are the only one of all posters who think it doesn't look right at all
It doesn't look right, if it's being viewed at an angle then the mouth lines would be curved not straight.  If it's pose to be viewed from the side, you should only see one eye.

Forum

Quote from: Pinball on December 07, 2010, 09:48:00 PM
If you add an extra line and color it gray(and a few other tweaks), you get a look alike knight helmet from the old SO!

Quote from: CherryPie on December 07, 2010, 04:18:23 AM
3.) You are the only one of all posters who think it doesn't look right at all
It doesn't look right, if it's being viewed at an angle then the mouth lines would be curved not straight.  If it's pose to be viewed from the side, you should only see one eye.
Yay metal pacman with red hair.
Officially quitted

Mystery

Made a quick mock-up of what I think this 'Pacman Helm' should look like. (Not that I support this idea whatsoever..)

Yankyal

Quote from: Mystery on December 08, 2010, 05:23:49 PM
Made a quick mock-up of what I think this 'Pacman Helm' should look like. (Not that I support this idea whatsoever..)

I think Cherry's looks much better. Yours doesn't look like a helmet, but like you drew Pacman over the stick man's head. 
Isaiah 13:15-18
Exodus 21:15
Deuteronomy 17:12
Leviticus 20:10

Mystery

Quote from: Yankyal on December 11, 2010, 09:37:10 AM

I think Cherry's looks much better. Yours doesn't look like a helmet, but like you drew Pacman over the stick man's head. 
...That would be the entire point of this hat, to make it look like Pacman is over your head. If it doesn't, you can't really call it a 'Pacman Helm'. CherryPie did the exact same thing, but with an incorrect perspective. Like Pinball's image showed(before it got removed, at least), it really looks more like a half-finished knight helmet(and yes, I realize he changed the color of it) than anything else.

Also, I'm putting 'Pacman Helm' in quotations for a reason. It doesn't have to be a helm, technically it's a hat, but most hats that cover 70% or more of the stick's head in SO are called helmets, so I thought it was appropriate.

Yankyal

Quote from: Mystery on December 11, 2010, 12:40:57 PM
Quote from: Yankyal on December 11, 2010, 09:37:10 AM

...That would be the entire point of this hat, to make it look like Pacman is over your head. If it doesn't, you can't really call it a 'Pacman Helm'. CherryPie did the exact same thing, but with an incorrect perspective. Like Pinball's image showed(before it got removed, at least), it really looks more like a half-finished knight helmet(and yes, I realize he changed the color of it) than anything else.

Also, I'm putting 'Pacman Helm' in quotations for a reason. It doesn't have to be a helm, technically it's a hat, but most hats that cover 70% or more of the stick's head in SO are called helmets, so I thought it was appropriate.
Your's looked like you copied and pasted a picture of pacman over the stick figure's head. I thought the point was to make it look like someone made a helm that looked like pacman, and put it on themselves? I guess what I'm trying to say is that yours doesn't look like he's wearing the helm, but a cardboard pacman is floating beside his head. While Cherry's looks like a helmet.
Isaiah 13:15-18
Exodus 21:15
Deuteronomy 17:12
Leviticus 20:10