News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

For shame, Ubisoft.

Started by Chaos, February 19, 2010, 03:52:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cactuscat222

Quote from: Chaos on March 04, 2010, 10:23:01 PM
Quote from: Cactuscat222 on March 04, 2010, 10:02:42 PM
While I agree that piracy will never go away... that doesn't mean no measures should be put in place to prevent it.

Crime will never go away, but that doesn't stop us from putting laws and punishments in place to deter people from causing them. Yes, current DRM screws over the buyer - however, I think its fair that the companies seek out ways to prevent it to the best of their ability, so that only the hardcore junkies can get through it, and not your average computer user.

DRM doesn't prevent pirating.  DRM doesn't DETER pirating.  There's evidence that DRM even CAUSES some people to pirate.  Your analogy doesn't work.

"Yes, current DRM screws over the buyer - however, I think its fair that the companies seek out ways to prevent it to the best of their ability, so that only the hardcore junkies can get through it, and not your average computer user." As in, not use DRM, but some other method to deter or prevent pirating...

And yes, I know only one person needs to crack it. But if there is a way to make that process painful for the average user, then I can assure you that will help.

Check out Stick Online HotKeyz v1.03 (Now with Full Screen Support!): Click Here

Scotty

Well okay then, what would you suggest they do?

krele

Wow... This is the worst authentication mechanism I've EVER seen... Connecting to a server??... That really is effective, since the important files are on another PC, crackers can't edit files like that... But in reality, this is the worst choice they could've made. If they couldn't secure their games to the extent of being hard to crack, how are they going to protect their webserver? If their webserver security technics are as bad as software ones, their servers are gonna go down atleast once a week... It takes just one no-life hacker to break their packet encryption and spam it to hell... Not to mention changing their packet encryption mechanism is alot of work...

All in all, this is the most idiotic thing a gaming company could do...

Scotty

Quote from: krele on March 05, 2010, 12:33:58 PM
Wow... This is the worst authentication mechanism I've EVER seen... Connecting to a server??... That really is effective, since the important files are on another PC, crackers can't edit files like that... But in reality, this is the worst choice they could've made. If they couldn't secure their games to the extent of being hard to crack, how are they going to protect their webserver? If their webserver security technics are as bad as software ones, their servers are gonna go down atleast once a week... It takes just one no-life hacker to break their packet encryption and spam it to hell... Not to mention changing their packet encryption mechanism is alot of work...

Huh?

The DRM they are using is to ensure authenticity of the game, not so much authentication.  As of right now, they aren't holding any financial information.  Besides, if they were, how is that any different from any other commercial MMORPG?  Attacks on the server can effectively be prevented (as proven by other companies rather well) for the most part.  I fail to see how this relates to the topic?

krele

Quote from: Scotty on March 05, 2010, 01:05:51 PM
Quote from: krele on March 05, 2010, 12:33:58 PM

Huh?

The DRM they are using is to ensure authenticity of the game, not so much authentication.  As of right now, they aren't holding any financial information.  Besides, if they were, how is that any different from any other commercial MMORPG?  Attacks on the server can effectively be prevented (as proven by other companies rather well) for the most part.  I fail to see how this relates to the topic?

My bad. I didn't understand the first time what this is about...

So, why the hell are they doing this? I just don't get it. Needing internet connection to play the game is bad. Especially with all the d/cing stuff they wrote on that site... So, when the server lags, or your internet connection cuts off, you lose all the progress made until the last time you saved? I don't know how you guys feel about this, but to me this looks as a fail of the year...

OffTopic: Scotty, I was just wondering, why are you giving me hard time everytime I post... 90% of this forum's posts make no sense whatsoever, but I'm the only one you bash from time to time... Why?

ARTgames

Ok i agree that having to have internet for a offline is crappy but i don't think its super uber uber bad. I mean you need a nice stable internet to play games like wow or stick online and people seem ok.

I'm not at all promoting they should do this. I'm just saying its not the apocalypse.

Cactuscat222

Quote from: Scotty on March 05, 2010, 10:20:18 AM
Well okay then, what would you suggest they do?

Honestly, I couldn't tell you. Its not my job, and I haven't had the time or resources to put my mind to it. I'm just stating that I think its fair that companies try to protect their profits/products -  whether or not it screws the person over is a different story.

Check out Stick Online HotKeyz v1.03 (Now with Full Screen Support!): Click Here

Jake

Quote from: ARTgames on March 05, 2010, 05:50:04 PM
I'm just saying its not the apocalypse.
No, it is. I'm pretty sure.

Lingus

Quote from: ARTgames on March 05, 2010, 05:50:04 PM
Ok i agree that having to have internet for a offline is crappy but i don't think its super uber uber bad. I mean you need a nice stable internet to play games like wow or stick online and people seem ok.

I'm not at all promoting they should do this. I'm just saying its not the apocalypse.
I agree with Art entirely. There is nothing inherently wrong with this method. 99% of computer users (btw, pulled that number outta my ass, so w/e) will not have a problem with this. They will have a stable connection to the internet for the time they are playing this game. The only problem with this method is the fact that it is a potential problem for no other reason than to verify that you have a legal version of the game. As well, the fact that there will be a crack anyways means that this potential problem is effectively pointless. So, essentially, paying customers will have this DRM thing hanging over their head while they are playing a game that they spent their hard earned money on. They probably won't run into issues with it, but it doesn't make them feel good to have to worry about their internet possibly going out and losing their progress for no reason. And knowing that had they pirated the game, they could be playing the game for free with none of the worry.

Scotty

Edited to remove my comment.

Lucifer

Scotty

Jake

Scotty

Quote from: Jake on March 06, 2010, 07:29:33 PM
Quote from: Scotty on March 06, 2010, 03:32:40 PM
Quote from: Jake on March 06, 2010, 01:26:51 PM
Quote from: Scotty on March 06, 2010, 01:02:43 AM
Edited to remove my comment.
AHAHAHAHA

Krele can thank Jake for that.
Don't give me the credit bud. Your the nice guy here.

Eat shit and choke to death you thunder chode!