News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

New Rendering Method Claims Unlimited Detail, Kills Polygons

Started by ARTgames, March 12, 2010, 06:13:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ARTgames

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-ATtrImCx4&ttl=1

I think he making some really big clams.

And his argument for why one of the big graphics vender wold not accept his technology makes no sence. Its like saying "Unlimited Detail: Here the answers that you are always going to make the best graphics card." and they are like "ATI: NO! we want to keep battling and spend millions to just make something a little better than nvidea. Why would we ever want to be the best instantly?" All Unlimited Detail would need to do is make a patent and give it to that vender and no one else will be able to use it for a while and they will become the best platform out there leaving every one down.

But of course that's only true if his clams are true and that there no major defects or drawbacks to start with.

I hope its all true but i really bleave its just some lies.

Lingus

Sounds reasonable to me. If you read the full description of the video on the side it explains it well. Basically it only needs to process the points which are required to view the image on the screen. Wheras normal 3D graphics would have to process the entire map. Pretty ingenious.

Cactuscat222

Yeah, it makes sense... the website looks funky though. I wonder how true this all is, I guess we will see.

The concept though is something you see in WoW and stuff - it only processes what you need to see. Thats how they can have no load times and what not. Though, of course, this takes this a whole notch up and applies it to all geometry.

Check out Stick Online HotKeyz v1.03 (Now with Full Screen Support!): Click Here

Lingus

Actually I believe the way WoW works is like normal 3D but it only loads the part of the map in your general area. Also, this method does not use polygons at all. It's point cloud based.

ARTgames

Quote from: Lingus on March 12, 2010, 07:04:15 PM
Sounds reasonable to me. If you read the full description of the video on the side it explains it well. Basically it only needs to process the points which are required to view the image on the screen. Wheras normal 3D graphics would have to process the entire map. Pretty ingenious.

Well drawing all you can see in the view is nothing new and it used in video games today. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hidden_surface_determination

He claiming to have a super one of those. He calming with his points with his "Mass connected processing" we can get geometry to the full resolution to the screen.  Basically his secret sauce is in his search algorithm.

Chaos

Very intriguing.  It sounds good in theory, I'm curious to see it in action, though.
Jake says:
lol, I found God! He was hiding under a big rock this entire time that lil jokster

Cactuscat222

Quote from: Lingus on March 12, 2010, 07:18:45 PM
Actually I believe the way WoW works is like normal 3D but it only loads the part of the map in your general area. Also, this method does not use polygons at all. It's point cloud based.

No no, I understand that. I just meant the idea behind only loading what you need to see at that point in time.

Check out Stick Online HotKeyz v1.03 (Now with Full Screen Support!): Click Here

ARTgames

Quote from: Chaos on March 12, 2010, 07:34:24 PM
Very intriguing.  It sounds good in theory, I'm curious to see it in action, though.
i agree!

Pat

In reply to your unedited post, its only new technology apparently theres still a lot of work to be done.
This sounds like it would make creating 3D graphics a more lengthy task but it does sound like its worth it. If they could create like a small 3D game with it showing off its features then I will be truely impressed (if it is good).
Facepunch consumes your soul and assimilates you into their crazy community.

ARTgames

Evey system has its pros and cons. And wondering whats its cons. Also they did not show much animation other than that one bug. But your right, it looks like really early stuff.

Lingus

Quote from: Cactuscat222 on March 12, 2010, 07:36:06 PM

No no, I understand that. I just meant the idea behind only loading what you need to see at that point in time.
The difference is that in WoW you're loading things you can't see. It's based on distance versus actual line of sight.

Though after reading more into this and the other methods of 3D graphics I do agree that what I mentioned is not anything new. It's called ray tracing. As Art mentioned what I said earlier is not the only thing this method has to offer. I guess it's the fact that it takes some from these other methods such as ray-tracing and point clouds, as well as combines them with this search algorithm.

The main concern at this point is that the demo is so horrible looking. Of course, this is completely understandable since it was designed by a bunch of programmers who know nothing about art direction. It would definitely be nice to see something done by a graphic artist with some animation.

ARTgames

Quote from: Lingus on March 12, 2010, 09:00:42 PM
Quote from: Cactuscat222 on March 12, 2010, 07:36:06 PM

The difference is that in WoW you're loading things you can't see. It's based on distance versus actual line of sight.

Though after reading more into this and the other methods of 3D graphics I do agree that what I mentioned is not anything new. It's called ray tracing.

wo, wo! hold on there. ray tracing is something really different from what we use today and what this guy thech he using. ray tracing is really slow and is the calculating of the physics of light as it bounces off objects. Light as you know can bounce off a lot of things before it hits your eyes and can change colors when doing so. even things not in your field of view. Real time full ray tracing is like the holy grail of computer graphics. One day we will get there (i hope).

You have the right idea just not the right terminology.

Torch

Sounds fascinating. I hope to see this on the market soon.

Pat

I am far from believing this at the moment. They don't have any high resolution pictures and their site is way too nub.
Facepunch consumes your soul and assimilates you into their crazy community.

JoEL

I can see how it'd work, it sounds really cool, I'd defenately like to see it in action, it's a great concept.