News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

New Rendering Method Claims Unlimited Detail, Kills Polygons

Started by ARTgames, March 12, 2010, 06:13:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ARTgames

Quote from: Jake on March 17, 2010, 11:19:38 PM
Quote from: ARTgames on March 17, 2010, 10:22:33 PM
Quote from: Jake on March 17, 2010, 10:18:52 PM
I'm a little confused as to how they search for these points of data. Wouldn't large amounts of geography still need to be stored in memory? I really have no clue how this works 0_o.
same here. i don't get how the points forum a surface.
I believe I understand that part of it to an extent. If you find the point needed for every pixel on the screen, they will combine to look like a surface.
dang that's a lot of points. Non the less that's not infinity germonty like this guy claims. That would be germonty to the rezultion to the points you have. But i dont know. know one really does but them.

tehrozzy

Quote from: ARTgames on March 17, 2010, 11:27:03 PM
I'm a little confused as to how they search for these points of data. Wouldn't large amounts of geography still need to be stored in memory? I really have no clue how this works 0_o.
I believe I understand that part of it to an extent. If you find the point needed for every pixel on the screen, they will combine to look like a surface.
dang that's a lot of points. Non the less that's not infinity germonty like this guy claims. That would be germonty to the rezultion to the points you have. But i dont know. know one really does but them.

my eyes are bleeding from that post. But yeah,totally agree.

Jake

Quote from: ARTgames on March 17, 2010, 11:27:03 PM
dang that's a lot of points. Non the less that's not infinity germonty like this guy claims. That would be germonty to the rezultion to the points you have.
You're slightly incorrect. The geometry is infinite in the fact that it can be as complex as possible without any slow down. You could have huge complex worlds with no end in sight. Obviously, these complex worlds can only display enough points to match your resolution, therefore what's being displayed at one time is not infinite, which is the entire reason why this system works.

ARTgames

I agree with you jake. that's what i meant. or was trying to mean. (my writing made it hard to tell :P) I was thinking how many points would you need when you get nice and close to a model. That must be a lot! Lets say i take a sniper rifle scope to a block of wood. How much detail will i get zoomed in? Will there still be points to fill every pixel? or is it all made up when your that close like a vector between the point? Or do you see space between the points? And if you do see solid space that is detail at that level and you have points still that small that must take up a lot of memory! (i think, idk, maybe they are magic)

like if keep zooming into a model do the points start spreading apart. And if so then it would be "that would be germonty to the rezultion to the points you have." IDK i can be wrong. See what im asking? i should have placed a question mark on my last post. :P

Jake

I gotcha now.

I believe they stated somewhere how they handle that method (forgot if it was in one of the videos or if I read it). From what I gathered, they blend the points together in a way that's easy on the eye. Not exactly sure what it would look like or how it works exactly.

ARTgames

mmk. BTW i'm thinking this works like a CCD/CMOS array on a digital camera. Like photons bouncing off an object are the points. The photons hitting the CCD/CMOS are the search search results. And the CCD/CMOS is an algorithm they use to make the image out of the points.

But non the less i think your still have a resolution/accuracy limit on your models. I don't think any artist is going down to the nanometer scale to fill in points. Even in are real world endless geometry Artists work has a limit on its accuracy before it becomes noise or out of place artifacts because he either stops going smaller/bigger or does not have the tools. Like if you look at a painting under an electron microscope i don't think those molecules of paint are still consider part of the artwork the artist wants you to look at.

Or in other words to have meaning full infinity geometry an artist would need to work an infinity about to get there.(unless we are dealing with vectors, different story) But i know you don't need to go that small or big to make a video game. I'm just making a point at the people in the video. I think down to the mm accuracy would be the best we would ever need.

Lingus

I believe the way the points are "strung together" is similar to vector graphics. If you have a curve in vector it doesn't matter how close you zoom in it will still be a smooth curve. It seems like this would be the same concept but with points, and they have a way for the points to be blended with a smooth surface at any distance. So it's only calculating the points and the curve between them. Not an infinite number of points.

I'm also curious how they store the data that is not being shown on screen. If the overall design is extremely complex that would take up a lot of memory. Unless they have some crazy compression method.

ARTgames

Quote from: Lingus on March 18, 2010, 01:19:32 PM
I believe the way the points are "strung together" is similar to vector graphics. If you have a curve in vector it doesn't matter how close you zoom in it will still be a smooth curve. It seems like this would be the same concept but with points, and they have a way for the points to be blended with a smooth surface at any distance. So it's only calculating the points and the curve between them. Not an infinite number of points.
Thank you, that makes seances. That's what i was kinda thinking.

I'm also curious how they store the data that is not being shown on screen. If the overall design is extremely complex that would take up a lot of memory. Unless they have some crazy compression method.
I agree. They must have a way if what they say is true.

Jake

My only guess so far is that they quickly stream data from the hard drive to memory, depending on what the player sees or has the potential to see. Probably similar to how open-world games work these days, but they can be much more specific in what is loaded, seeing as how it uses a point cloud based system, and it's probably heavily compressed like Lingus and Art have mentioned.

What I fail to understand is this... Considering the fact that hard drive speeds aren't the greatest, they still need to load a large portion of the world into memory before the user has a chance to see it. Seeing as how these worlds can be extremely complex, and point cloud data is one of the less efficient ways of handling model data, how the hell could they do this even with heavy compression. The guy even made mention in the videos that one tree could have as much detail as an entire world in current games (or something along those lines). Something just doesn't add up here...

ARTgames