News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

ROCKET MAAAAAAAAAN!!

Started by Chaos, March 15, 2010, 06:35:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat

It looks like it was designed by aperture science.
Facepunch consumes your soul and assimilates you into their crazy community.

DarkBlade325

Quote from: Pat on March 16, 2010, 02:42:02 AM

The Enrichment Center reminds you that the Aperture Science Backpack Airlift Device will never threaten to burn/stab/malfunction on/ blow up on you and, in fact, cannot speak. In the event that the Backpack Airlift Device does speak, the Enrichment Center urges you to disregard its advice.

ARTgames

Quote from: Pat on March 16, 2010, 02:42:02 AM

oooooh! Now i get the name aperture science. Aperture science's logo is a dilated camera lens or its aperture in other words.

I'm guessing that's referring to how they have cameras set up everywhere to watch people on the obstacle course.

Man I'm slow. That took me years.

Lingus

Quote from: Red October on March 15, 2010, 09:27:50 PM
Quote from: Lingus on March 15, 2010, 08:44:53 PM...and the fact that it only has a range of 31 miles just doesn't make it usefull for anything other than having fun.

I'd disagree. 31 miles is just under 50km and you will be able to travel in staight lines. If had access to a jetpack, I would be able to to do the daily fly to school everyday, eachway. As the distance I have to travel is just under 20km, eachway.

The real issue is how long it would last, using figures, I can determine that the jetpack would travel (at a constant velocity) for 1771secs or 29.53mins. Imagine having to refill every 25 or so minutes! It would be more cost effective to have a car.
But you can't travel in the city... Unless you live in a rural area you couldn't use it. And even then, you would have to land before getting into a congested area and take public transportation from there. So it's not practical in that sense.

Quote from: Jake on March 15, 2010, 09:32:34 PM
Quote from: Lingus on March 15, 2010, 08:44:53 PM
Yea. Still though even if it were as affordable as a car it would be restricted to the point that it would not make any sense to have one. You would still have to have a car to drive around the city, and the fact that it only has a range of 31 miles just doesn't make it usefull for anything other than having fun. I see this as an equivalent to ATVs, dirt bikes, and wave runners. Except way too expensive to get one just for recreational use.

Now, if they had automatic guided navigation... That would be it. Of course, they'd need to figure that out for cars first before they add a z axis. Honestly I think the next greatest thing for transportation will be automatically driven cars. All the appeal of public transportation with none of the downsides. It would be the greatest advancement to civilization yet. But, that's off-topic.
I think you're undershooting the fact that it gives you the availability to fly. It's everyone's childhood dream come to life. It simply cannot compare to ATV's and dirtbikes. It's much much more than that.
My point wasn't really how fun it would be. I completely agree with you. I would take one of these over an ATV or dirtbike for sure. My point was that it is not practical to use as a transportation vehicle. It would only make sense as a recreation vehicle such as ATVs or wave runners. I guess all I'm saying is I predict that that will be the extent of its function unless some other device or system is implemented (such as automatic guided navigation which takes human error out of the picture).

Jake

Quote from: Lingus on March 16, 2010, 08:19:13 PM
My point wasn't really how fun it would be. I completely agree with you. I would take one of these over an ATV or dirtbike for sure. My point was that it is not practical to use as a transportation vehicle. It would only make sense as a recreation vehicle such as ATVs or wave runners. I guess all I'm saying is I predict that that will be the extent of its function unless some other device or system is implemented (such as automatic guided navigation which takes human error out of the picture).
Currently, I would agree with you. Between gas prices, dangers of flying, the price of the machine, it's huge size, and relatively short flight time, it's just not a good idea for travel. On the other hand, if they can make these machines safer, find a better fuel source, and lower they're price, I don't see why they wouldn't become a great way to travel in the future. Of course, this is all speculation on my part, but hey, it could happen.

Chaos

Frankly, I see this as the motorcycle of airplanes.  Motorcycles aren't particularly safe, but people are still allowed to travel on one.  It's not unreasonable to assume that, now that we HAVE the technology, that we don't make regulations to cover its usage.
Jake says:
lol, I found God! He was hiding under a big rock this entire time that lil jokster

Mystery

Quote from: Jake on March 17, 2010, 02:36:17 AM
Currently, I would agree with you. Between gas prices, dangers of flying, the price of the machine, it's huge size, and relatively short flight time, it's just not a good idea for travel. On the other hand, if they can make these machines safer, find a better fuel source, and lower they're price, I don't see why they wouldn't become a great way to travel in the future. Of course, this is all speculation on my part, but hey, it could happen.
The thing is, I foresee it taking a longgg time before this really has a chance to be good for travel. It looks really fun, though. Too expensive right now, but that should go down in several years. ...I hope.
AKA Paradox/EnragedDeity/Occurrence.
Quote from: Medgar Evers
You can kill a man, but you can't kill an idea.

ARTgames

It depends how much your insurance charges you when you buy one.

Lingus

Quote from: ARTgames on March 17, 2010, 07:39:50 PM
The article claimed that you would not be able to insure these. No insurance company would do it. But I guess the bonus is you aren't required to.

ARTgames

Quote from: Lingus on March 17, 2010, 08:34:47 PM
The article claimed that you would not be able to insure these. No insurance company would do it. But I guess the bonus is you aren't required to.

lol really? that kind of makes me want 2 of these.

Chaos

Quote from: Lingus on March 17, 2010, 08:34:47 PM

At the moment.
Jake says:
lol, I found God! He was hiding under a big rock this entire time that lil jokster

Red October

... Unless you live in a rural area, you couldn't use it.

My school is on a farm, do I need to explain anymore?

Lingus

Quote from: Red October on March 19, 2010, 03:04:35 AM

Oh, perfect then. Let me know when you've earned enough disposable income from wages in a rural area to waste $100,000 on this thing...

Jake

Quote from: Lingus on March 19, 2010, 12:30:51 PM

Oh, perfect then. Let me know when you've earned enough disposable income from wages in a rural area to waste $100,000 on this thing...
There's no such thing as wasting money on a jetpack.

ARTgames

Quote from: Jake on March 19, 2010, 01:45:32 PM
Quote from: Lingus on March 19, 2010, 12:30:51 PM

There's no such thing as wasting money on a jetpack.

Yeah there is. I was saving my fake money on this gta sa server to get the jetpack unlocked. When i did every time i used the jetpack it would kick me from the server. What a wast of time and money.