News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

violence in media

Started by ARTgames, March 17, 2010, 07:27:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ARTgames

Today there is violence in the media. Do you all think this is really making violent acts more or worse or no effect at all?

It seems like most movies and movies games i see or play have some sort of violence. Do you think there should be less or more or just the same amount?

This just seems like something that comes up a lot when discussing large media events.

Mystery

I don't really think that it should be decreased. People are going to commit violent acts anyway, regardless. Over censoring can easily become a bad thing. If you want to see an example of the horrible side of filtering violence and 'bad' materials from video games, look at Australia. (Not trying to offend you guys, just saying the truth.)
AKA Paradox/EnragedDeity/Occurrence.
Quote from: Medgar Evers
You can kill a man, but you can't kill an idea.

Jake

Violence? That's fine. Nothing wrong with a few decapitated heads and whatnot. But by God, if my kid sees a nipple, all hell will break loose.

venuse

your kid can see a nipple so long as it has been separated from the body by a bomb or rusted knife just not attached to the body :)

Lingus

I think there's a point where an individual is no longer influenced by the kinds of things they see in media. At least to the extent that watching violence will not cause that person to become violent. But, at a younger age this may not necessarily be true (where that age is would differ from individual to individual.) Does that mean we should remove or reduce violence in the media? No. This is why children grow up with parents. Parents should be teaching their children and taking the responsibility for what their child is exposed to (be that violence or any kind of graphic material). This does not mean sheltering the child completely. That would be almost as bad as over exposure. The key, I think, is teaching the child about what they are exposed to and showing it to them in such a way that the child understands that what they are seeing is fake. At the same time it is also the parents responsibility to know when the child is ready to be exposed to these things.

In other words, by forcibly removing violence (or graphic material) from the media we are saying that we are not responsible enough as adults to do this for our children. Some people probably aren't. And these people should not be raising children. But I don't feel everyone should be punished for certain people's failings.

Chaos

Does anyone besides me (and Jake, as his post was trying to convey) find the HUGE irony in the fact that we have movies, games, and even television for all to see with massive amounts of blood, violence, and gore, but if you so much as have a woman's nipple, you're demonized.  God forbid you show SEX.

Conclusion:  Violence, murder, and other things that bring suffering and misery to those involved are completely okay to show.  Sexual acts involving pleasure, love, and happiness are works OF TEH DEVIL!!!

!@#$ this country, and !@#$ the 'Puritans' who started it.
Jake says:
lol, I found God! He was hiding under a big rock this entire time that lil jokster

tehrozzy

Quote from: Mystery on March 17, 2010, 07:40:58 PM
I don't really think that it should be decreased. People are going to commit violent acts anyway, regardless. Over censoring can easily become a bad thing. If you want to see an example of the horrible side of filtering violence and 'bad' materials from video games, look at Australia's censored games, eg Left 4 Dead 2. (Not trying to offend you guys, just saying the truth.)
Fixed it :D

JoEL

I blame the parents, that's all I have to say.

NotoriousM4^

Quote from: JoEL on March 18, 2010, 06:56:00 AM
I blame the parents, that's all I have to say.
I somewhat agree with this.

crozier

There are killing shows that can even be rated PG. The show Monk (great show but sadly had its last season) was PG and he was a homocide investigator. Parental guidence (PG) means they could be 5 and still watch the show.(Parents fault here)
Then there is a show, Criminal Minds, that is rated pg13. The other day an insane lady was kidnapping children; and then grew tired or angry at them. To dispose of them she burned them alive. She drugged them then took them to a funeral home place and burned them in a furnace. Later the insane husband placed the bones of the boy into a grinder and made the boy into ashes. Two hours earlier the boy was alive (not living well since he was kidnapped but alive still.) Yes this is a TV show and I may seem like I am overacting, but PG13 means you dont have to be 13 to see this. It is just suggested. My family doesn't ever let my 11 year old brother watch the show.  What are the chances that a 5 year old kid watched this? Extrodinarly low.
So to prove my point, the rules of TV violence should be inforced more. We should stop children from watching this stuff. This would reduce crimerate overall (stop crime in TV for kids, kids dont get bad ideas, kids dont break law as adults.)
But everyone has faults too. My parents let me watch Kill Bill when I was like 12. Thats because I was a good kid (a trouble maker but never in fights, or anything worse then a few jokes.) I could handel that. I knew what death was and they let me watch it because it was a good movie. They weren't trying to brainwash me into killing people. BUT I am sure some parents let there 12 year old kid watch it when there kid was getting into fights, bullying, hurting animals etc. I feel it is ok if I was to watch the movie and it is't ok for them to watch it.

DarkTrinity

Quote from: Chaos on March 17, 2010, 09:27:18 PM
Does anyone besides me (and Jake, as his post was trying to convey) find the HUGE irony in the fact that we have movies, games, and even television for all to see with massive amounts of blood, violence, and gore, but if you so much as have a woman's nipple, you're demonized.  God forbid you show SEX.

Conclusion:  Violence, murder, and other things that bring suffering and misery to those involved are completely okay to show.  Sexual acts involving pleasure, love, and happiness are works OF TEH DEVIL!!!

I think the real question is not about violence... But it's why are there always titties shown in movies, always always, but never a penor?

Think about that one.

Sexist bastards

Lingus

I agree. I added in my post along with violence, graphic material. By that I mean anything explicit in nature. Nudity/sexual content would be included in that. It's not okay for kids of a certain age to watch that. But yes I agree that violence is worse than sex... clearly.

Aqua

Quote from: DarkTrinity on March 18, 2010, 12:12:40 PM
Does anyone besides me (and Jake, as his post was trying to convey) find the HUGE irony in the fact that we have movies, games, and even television for all to see with massive amounts of blood, violence, and gore, but if you so much as have a woman's nipple, you're demonized.  God forbid you show SEX.

Conclusion:  Violence, murder, and other things that bring suffering and misery to those involved are completely okay to show.  Sexual acts involving pleasure, love, and happiness are works OF TEH DEVIL!!!

I think the real question is not about violence... But it's why are there always titties shown in movies, always always, but never a penor?

Think about that one.

Sexist bastards
Both guys and girls have nipples, just girls have breasts; thus it's not a big a deal to show breasts (My opinion).

I think that there should be a new level of rating- bring the X back. All those horror movies and even some good but correct stuff like Brave Heart should be X. The disturbing pg13 should be the new R, and so on. So people can be a bit more precise on what to show to whom.
At the beginning of South Park shows they have: 'the contents of this video should not be viewed by anyone' or something like that. This is true, but some (most) people enjoy South Park. Many movies should not be viewed by anyone, but that doesn't make them a crime to watch.
Hard to convey my point, but I tried...
~Aqua

Chaos

Quote from: Lingus on March 18, 2010, 01:24:18 PM
Nudity/sexual content would be included in that. It's not okay for kids of a certain age to watch that.

Why's that?

I don't want anyone to get me wrong, I'm not encouraging ANY form of censorship.  Frankly, when I have children, I'm not going to 'protect' them from seeing nudity, sex, violence, etc.  Instead, I'm going to actually do my JOB as a parent and explain these things in a mature, scientific way.  In my opinion, hiding knowledge from others is one of the worst things you can do.  Mind you, I'm not going to go out of my way to show these things to my children, but when they do come across them, I will explain in full.
Jake says:
lol, I found God! He was hiding under a big rock this entire time that lil jokster

Lucifer

Quote from: Chaos on March 18, 2010, 03:42:51 PM
Quote from: Lingus on March 18, 2010, 01:24:18 PM
Nudity/sexual content would be included in that. It's not okay for kids of a certain age to watch that.

Why's that?

I don't want anyone to get me wrong, I'm not encouraging ANY form of censorship.  Frankly, when I have children, I'm not going to 'protect' them from seeing nudity, sex, violence, etc.  Instead, I'm going to actually do my JOB as a parent and explain these things in a mature, scientific way.  In my opinion, hiding knowledge from others is one of the worst things you can do.  Mind you, I'm not going to go out of my way to show these things to my children, but when they do come across them, I will explain in full.
And suggest the best sites!