News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

Excerise/Weight Loss

Started by Titan, April 22, 2010, 06:18:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lingus

Quote from: NotoriousM4^ on April 23, 2010, 02:34:08 PM
Quote from: Trogdor on April 23, 2010, 02:16:30 PM
Quote from: foG on April 23, 2010, 11:45:00 AM
Most vegetarians are overweight, because your body needs meat. Eating the vegetarian way is never healthy.
Out of curiosity, I'd like to know why you believe vegetarians are overweight from lack of meat. From what I've seen in America, the majority of our obese population consume inordinate amounts of animal flesh, and I've yet to see an overweight vegetarian (possibly due to the fact that they're very scarce or I've not been on this Earth long enough).

Anyway, I suppose I'll also throw in the fact that I'm 5' 8" and weigh 127 lbs. I'm hoping I'll do a bit more growing in college, but overall I'm comfortable with my height if I never did any more growing. Also, I'd trade my metabolism for yours any day, DT. I'm tired of being a twig.
Sorry Trog but you can't use that as a counter example to foG's statement. The majority of America's obese population is caused by sweets and carbohydrate addiction, not because of the consumption of "inordinate amounts of animal flesh".

While that is probably true, it also would have nothing to do with being vegetarian or not. It would mean that a vegetarian could be very healthy, and in most cases are healthy because they tend to have to watch what they eat very closely to make sure they are getting the right amount of nutrients (such as protien). Saying vegetarians are mostly fat because they don't eat meat is pretty ignorant. As ignorant as saying people who eat meat are fat because they eat meat. People get fat because they eat too much food in general and don't excercise. The type of food you eat, at least in my opinion, has less to do with your weight as how much you eat, and how much you excercise.

Trogdor

Quote from: NotoriousM4^ on April 23, 2010, 02:34:08 PM
Sorry Trog but you can't use that as a counter example to foG's statement. The majority of America's obese population is caused by sweets and carbohydrate addiction, not because of the consumption of "inordinate amounts of animal flesh".
'Course I can. You have a good eye, but not good enough.

Quote from: Trogdor on April 23, 2010, 02:16:30 PM
From what I've seen in America.
Meaning, my opinion I've formed from being alive in this world. Influenced by documentaries, namely Supersize Me, and general statistics I've come across from well-known authors, such as Victoria Boutenko, I've drawn my own conclusions to the subject. You are entitled to your opinion of obesity being caused by sweets and carbohydrates as much as I am. Next time, please do try to read my entire post. It seems the majority of the counter-arguments I experience is from a lack of understanding.

Edit: @Lingus: I completely agree with you. No matter what lifestyle you're living or what diet you're on, you can still be unhealthy. Though please understand I was not insinuating in my post that those who eat meat are fat simply because they eat meat. I know a lot of healthy people who consume meat, and I never meant to sound like meat was the main cause of obesity. I was using the consumption of meat as a counterpoint to FoG's argument, where consuming meat does not cause one to have a healthy weight, and those that do not (such as vegetarians) are obese.
If you give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
If you light a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Lingus

Quote from: Trogdor on April 23, 2010, 02:48:48 PM@Lingus: I completely agree with you. No matter what lifestyle you're living or what diet you're on, you can still be unhealthy. Though please understand I was not insinuating in my post that those who eat meat are fat simply because they eat meat. I know a lot of healthy people who consume meat, and I never meant to sound like meat was the main cause of obesity. I was using the consumption of meat as a counterpoint to FoG's argument, where consuming meat does not cause one to have a healthy weight, and those that do not (such as vegetarians) are obese.
That makes sense. I see your point now.

DarkTrinity

Quote from: Scotty on April 23, 2010, 02:29:50 PM
Quote from: DarkTrinity on April 23, 2010, 01:53:17 PM

Also, I hate any guys who struggle to gain weight... >_> I hate you allllllllllllllllll!!!!!!!

*Waves furiously*  HAI!

I have the metabolism of a flying squirrel with a meth addiction!!  I gulp down a 6 pack of beer every night and eat whatever I want without gaining a single pound!

....I have no words to describe how much I hate you right now

Jake

Psh, I've actually lost weight since I began drinking. I weighed 170 junior year, and now weigh 160. Probably from losing muscle haha.

sly 3 4 me

I'm 6'3" and 153 pounds. I suppose I should pick up some weight, but I get around to lifting and running during the week.

venuse

alittle about me, im 5' 6" and 150 pounds. i walk, about i would say, 4 to 6 hrs, a day while pushing/pulling shopping carts. each shopping cart weighs around 60 pounds and i push between 1-25, capable of 38, by hand although 10 is the normal. 60x10= 600 pounds although they are on wheels so im probably not pushing all that weight on flat ground. 38x60=2280 pounds. and no im not chiseled, in fact i got alittle bit of a stomach.

unfortunately i suck at lifting things, only about 85 pounds, plus i have to be very careful when lifting since i had 2 hernias when i was younger.

when i first started at walmart as a cart pusher i was 144 or 145 so the 5 pounds added is probably mostly muscle.

Seifer

VolcomPunk

I'm only 5'3" and I weight roughly 130. I used to work out a lot too. I don't think I can remember how much I squat, but my benching max used to be 250, believe it or not. :-\

Scotty

Quote from: DarkTrinity on April 23, 2010, 05:25:56 PM
Quote from: Scotty on April 23, 2010, 02:29:50 PM
Quote from: DarkTrinity on April 23, 2010, 01:53:17 PM

Also, I hate any guys who struggle to gain weight... >_> I hate you allllllllllllllllll!!!!!!!

*Waves furiously*  HAI!

I have the metabolism of a flying squirrel with a meth addiction!!  I gulp down a 6 pack of beer every night and eat whatever I want without gaining a single pound!

....I have no words to describe how much I hate you right now

I'm over it.

Titan

Figured I might as well give this a mega bump.

In just about 2 months I've lost 40 pounds, and feel a lot better. I can actually run now without complete dying. Managed to run about 2 miles with breaks in between laps.(Part of football training).

Anyways might as well try and start this back up if anyone cares at all.
Livin' in a lonely world.

God-I-Suck

Quote from: Titan on June 24, 2010, 08:38:10 PM

In just about 2 months I've lost 40 pounds, and feel a lot better. I can actually run now without complete dying. Managed to run about 2 miles with breaks in between laps.(Part of football training).

Wow, 40 pounds? Great job!

DarkTrinity

Quote from: Titan on June 24, 2010, 08:38:10 PM

I'd be anorexic if i lost that much... lol. Congrats though, that's a lot to lose in 2 months.

Mr Pwnage

And your a football player? What the hell is wrong with you?! You should be gaining weight not losing it!
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." -Albert Einstein (1947)

http://www.benmward.com/projects.php

Hambone

Well, I'm 6'0" give or take, 17 years old, and weigh 135 lb. I'm skinny, but I'm pretty toned (6-pack and such). I don't go to any gyms so I can't tall you what I bench, but last I checked my mile run was 5:21 which is pretty solid for not having any organised training.